Monday, May 7, 2012

Avid Weekly

Onward Online Privacy

There is a law which is trying to be passed, called "Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights". This law for intenet users would "give them (internet users) more say over how personal information is being collected and used." I believe that this law should be passed. People online should be able to keep their e-mail, addresses, and phone numbers private, without big companies buying their information. There is no need for internet users to be bothered with spam mail and phone call advertisments from companies they have never heard of. When I put my email or phone number into the internet, it is not for my information to be sent around the country. It is to create an account of some sort, which may be for school or signing up for something online. I believe that this bill will help people like me who do not wish to be bombarded by emails from places we are not familiar with, without my consent.
Therefor, those who do not listen to this new law should be penalized by the government. This law should be treated like any other to protect personal data, and it should be respected. I understand that companies need to find customers in one way or another. However, this should not be the way. Companies should learn to find customers on their own, with their own products. I believe that many internet users like me, will be appreciative of the privacy of their data.

No comments:

Post a Comment